There are several steps to preparing the laptop for the Laptop Orchestra of Louisiana. The name of your computer on the LOLs Network allows GRENDL and other pieces to facilitate communication.
The follow steps are for Max OS 10.8 ‘Mountain Lion’.
Setting Computer Name
- Go to System Preferences and click on the Sharing icon. (System Preferences > Sharing)
- Type your Computer Name making sure it is one word, with no capital letters.
Below is an example of the Sharing window with a Computer Name set to ‘w00t’.
Setting Environmental Variable NET_NAME
- Open a Terminal window
- Use the command ‘sudo nano /etc/launchd.conf’.
- Enter your password.
- Type the following command with the Computer Name you used above (without brackets): *Your variable can be NET_NAME or whatever.
- Press ‘Ctrl + o’ to save the file.
- Press enter to accept the name (no name change should be necessary).
- Press ‘Ctrl + x’ to exit the editor.
- Reboot the computer.
setenv NET_NAME [ComputerName]
To check the the NET_NAME after you’ve rebooted:
1. Open a new Terminal Window.
2. Typing the following command and hit enter:
To check your Environmental Variable NET_NAME in ChucK: